[sword-devel] Hebrew Bible Copyright contact

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:32:43 -0800

> Most all of the Bible software packages that have the Hebrew Bible use
> The Westminster Hebrew Morphology text. Gramcord, BibleWindows,
> BibleWorks,
> Logos, WordSearch, BART, Bible Companion all use this text. I would be
> interested in contacting the license holder on behalf of the Sword Project
> to see if you could use it.

This sounds great, if we can get permission.

> It looks like the transliteration scheme is in lower level ASCII,
> but I have
> an ASCII table to map the characters to the BWHebb TrueType font. If you
> wanted to use a different font with a different mapping scheme,
> I'm sure we
> could work that out as well.

It would be good if we had a way to do transliteration into readable Roman
characters also.   Biola's Unbound Bible page has a transliterated BHS, but
it's still far from readable (uses +'s and $'s for example).

> >gn1:1
> gn1:1,1.1 B.: B.@Pp
> gn1:1,1.2 R")$I^YT R")$IYT@ncfs
> gn1:1,2.1 B.FRF^) B.R)_1@vqp3ms
> gn1:1,3.1 ):ELOHI^YM ):ELOHIYM@ncmp

Here is how I would render that portion of Gen 1:1:

<DR>B.: <RL>B.<Rl><RM>Pp<Rm> R")$I^YT <RL>R")$IYT<Rl><RM>ncfs<Rm> B.FRF^)
<RL>B.R)_1<Rl><RM>vqp3ms<Rm> ):ELOHI^YM <RL>):ELOHIYM<Rl><RM>ncmp<Rm>

It adds a couple tags to the GBF spec (RL/Rl for Lexical form and RM/Rm for
morphological tag).  We might want to reverse the ordering on the text in
the module rather than do it in the filter just to avoid the pain of keeping
track of which parts of a line to reverse and which to maintain.

--Chris