[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible prog ram based on Sword

Bob Pritchett sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 08:58:39 -0800

I'm afraid I'm not in a position to give advice on approaching specific
organizations.

I can say, however, that we have a full-time person who does nothing but
call on publishers, with three other people regularly involved. It's a lot
of work.

Did I ever mention that Logos was initially written to be a shareware
project? My partner and I wrote version 1.0 in our spare time and were going
to distribute it as shareware over BBS's, etc. (back in the pre-web days)

It was our inability to get licenses to copyrighted texts like the NIV, etc.
that compelled us to create a company, quit our jobs, and make a commercial
product.

So I'm very sympathetic to the problem you're facing with these texts and
publishers, but you can see what solution I chose to the problem. :-)

-- Bob