[sword-devel] Cool idea: Commercial Linux /Windows Bible prog ram based on Sword

sword-devel@crosswire.org sword-devel@crosswire.org
Thu, 01 Feb 2001 19:16:25 GMT

Bob Pritchett writes:

> I'm afraid I'm not in a position to give advice on approaching specific
> organizations.
> I can say, however, that we have a full-time person who does nothing but
> call on publishers, with three other people regularly involved. It's a lot
> of work.
> Did I ever mention that Logos was initially written to be a shareware
> project? My partner and I wrote version 1.0 in our spare time and were going
> to distribute it as shareware over BBS's, etc. (back in the pre-web days)
> It was our inability to get licenses to copyrighted texts like the NIV, etc.
> that compelled us to create a company, quit our jobs, and make a commercial
> product.
> So I'm very sympathetic to the problem you're facing with these texts and
> publishers, but you can see what solution I chose to the problem. :-)

Thanks for your insight Bob.  I have a question that I would like to know
about from a business perspective.

It seems to me that Bible software is relatively expensive compared to
"similar" software used for secular programs.  I may be simplifying too
much, but do you think that this is more a factor of licensing / copyright
issues, or is it just a factor of a more limited market and the fixed costs
of running a company are paid by fewer customers?

Also, on a different issue, the Lockman Foundation releases their version
of software with the NASB for free (with limitations) and yet charges
companies like yours a licensing fee to use the same text...  Speaking
hypothetically, so you don't have to release sensitive information.  Other
than the licensing fees, which I assume are relatively small per copy, are
there other requirements typically imposed to license Bible texts for
distribution?  If so, what types of requirements are there?

   Darwin Gregory

   Jesus is the way, the truth and the life.
   Evolution is a myth...