[sword-devel] Translation .... was GNU etc

Jerry Hastings sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:33:55 -0700

At 06:46 PM 12/17/2001 +0000, Barry Drake wrote:

>... I don't think we ever will have -
>an 'unbiased' translation.  I believe that the more translations we have
>over the years, the more chance we have of using the bible well. ...

There is a type of module I would like to see made. It would list Bible
versions/translations by translation differences for a given verse. Not
every version needs to listed for every phrase. KJV, Webster and ASV mostly
agree so if you list KJV everywhere, you only need to list Webster and ASV
where they differ from KJV. Likewise, some phrases will be common to most
versions, so note that with "Most" and don't list all that agree with it.
Also, omit minor differences like the/a. Using the KJV text as the
standard, the first half of the entry for Hebrews 13:15 would look
something like this.

Hebrews 13:15
By him, DR
    Through him, Most