[sword-devel] Translation .... was GNU etc

Chris Little sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:46:19 -0800

> There is a type of module I would like to see made. It would
> list Bible
> versions/translations by translation differences for a given
> verse. Not
> every version needs to listed for every phrase. KJV, Webster
> and ASV mostly
> agree so if you list KJV everywhere, you only need to list
> Webster and ASV
> where they differ from KJV. Likewise, some phrases will be
> common to most
> versions, so note that with "Most" and don't list all that
> agree with it.
> Also, omit minor differences like the/a.

I'd love to see someone write this in such a way that it can be
performed automatically.  With two similar translations, I think you
could use GNU diff to generate differences and then reconstruct them
into a presentable manner.  Doing it for more than 2 translations makes
it much harder.

Another way to do this would be to implement Troy's fabled Original
Language Keys and markup all the texts that you want to compare with
them.  That would let you interlineate any text in any language (again,
assuming it had been marked with OLKeys).

--Chris