[sword-devel] Translation .... was GNU etc

Barry Drake sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 18:46:23 -0000

Hi all .....

On 18 Dec 2001 at 1:00, Chris wrote:
> Would you acknowledge, that maybe, just maybe there is someone somewhere who
> actually understands Romans?

I've been following this thread eagerly - I've avoided coming into it
because it seems to me to be off topic - and probably ought to be on
'fireside'.  Can I say first - Troy - could you consider making 'fireside'
a list rather than a newsgroup?  I can use newsgroups - some can't - but
whilst I'd subscribe to a list, checking a newsgroup regularly is one extra
chore I can live without.

On the topic of translation - forgive me - but now I've started, I do have
something to contribute.  Just an example.  Luke Chapter 20:46 usually has
something similar to: "Beware of the teachers of the law. They like to walk
around in flowing robes and love to be greeted in the market-places and
have the most important seats in the synagogues and the places of honour at
banquets"  This same passage may equally well be rendered:
"Be on your guard against those scribes who like to walk about in long
robes, and love salutations in the market places and the best seats in the
synagogues and the places of honour at feasts".  I am not enough of a
linguist myself to say this - but am assured by an expert in biblical Greek
that this is the case.

Why has the first been chosen?  I suggest because of the strong words of
the church fathers against the Jews which influenced all translation at a
later date.  What grounds have I for thinking that the second translation
may in fact be closer to what Jesus intended?  Because there are rabbinic
examples of just this kind of teaching in the Mishnah.  (I can give Talmud
references - or see an essay I have at www.minister.fsnet.co.uk).

I write this because we do not have - and I don't think we ever will have -
an 'unbiased' translation.  I believe that the more translations we have
over the years, the more chance we have of using the bible well.  And if
this means paying translators a lot of money to keep working, we have to do
that.  We just won't get that 'perfect translation' some of you would like.
 BTW I'm not sure that the original Hebrew names help anybody after
centuries of tradition.  What is the point?  You'll alienate more than you
attract if you try to get us to call Jesus Y'shuah.

Regards,

Barry

>From Barry Drake (The Revd - minister of Arnold United Reformed Church,
Nottingham - see http://www.arnold-urc.supanet.com for our church