[sword-devel] Wooing publishing houses

Edward Maros sword-devel@crosswire.org
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 10:05:55 -0700

alecg wrote:
> Greetings,
> I talked to a guy who does specialty-bible editing about how to sell
> Nelson and the rest on letting us distribute their translations (or
> paraphrases) with Sword. He had two suggestions that seemed novel to me.
> The first was that we should have a plug for them: a hyperlink on the
> UI that linked to a page where a print copy could be bought.
> The second was a method for insuring that the translation had not been
> tampered with. Perhaps a checksum for those modules that insist on it
> compiled in to SWORD would do the job? (I think this objection is rather
> silly, anyone could say anything they said was from translation x
> and be lying about it. Still, the publishers would probably feel
> better if there was some sort of authentication mechanism.)
> On a different subject, has anyone considered porting sword to the
> Palm? If the modules could be compressed with bzip2 it might be made
> to fit. I would love to do it, but I am just learning C++ and have
> never ported a thing before in my life.

The thought of SWORD on the palm does appeal to me. I have seen several
Bible references for the Palm. The one big thing that I noticed is that
they all split the Bible into sections. This would be a must as people
with Palms need to do more that just read the Bible. Would it be
possible to have SWORD support sections and not just the full Bible?

> Grace and peace,
> Alexander Garden
> Before you buy.

Edward Maros                            emaros@ligo.caltech.edu