[sword-devel] Greek texts

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 15:52:35 -0700

Paul,
	B-Greek encoding was created by the list to display greek fonts in an
english character set (email) for the mailing list.  We have a converter
(see sword/src/utilfuns/Greek2Greek) written by a the B-Greek mailing
list people (William Dicks).  It is used in our WIN32 frontend.  If you
are in the N27U4 module and you highlight text and then right-click, you
will get an option, "Copy as B-Greek" then you can paste into your mail
program and the greek will conform to the standard that the list uses.

I wouldn't think that encoding in B-Greek a text for display in true
diacritic greek would be that efficient since there cannot be a direct
font mapping.  The diacritics are encoded as a separate character and
the frontend would have to either transpose the images on the fly or
else parse and map to a single character on the fly.

Our N27U4 module was converted from bromans CCAT archive to what was
originally called 'wingreek' encoding (this is the encoding that the
Greek2Greek functions expect for conversion).  Many texts use this
encoding and there are and ample number of converters from this encoding
to other encodings.

		-Troy.