[sword-devel] Greek texts

Jeffrey Hoyt sword-devel@crosswire.org
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 07:47:42 -0700

On Tue, 18 Jul 2000, you wrote:
> Brook Humphrey wrote:
> > PG> Easy on Windows - just provide a different font.  Hard on Linux -
> > what PG> other font are you going to use?  How are you going to ensure
> > that it's PG> present on everyone's Linux box?  Are you going to force
> > frontend PG> developers to use FreeType and a particular TTF, or just let
> > them work PG> it out themselves?  Are you going to make everyone use
> > xfsft?  What PG> about other platforms?
> >
> > Mandrake is easy with fonts also at least just as easy as windows. it
> > includes a utility called drakfont that will even find ttf fonts on
> > your window partition and use them.
>
> Well, one version of Linux down, 17 to go...  :-)

The latest versions of XFree86 (4.0 and 4.0.1) support TrueType fonts
natively.  You have the choice of using the FreeType or xfsft backends to
display them.  This will work with any version of Linux AFAIK.  I wouldn't
recommend that everybody rush out and download it, but with some Linux
experience (and patience while downloading) the installation process is not
that bad.

I'm using the Greek font (TT) Athenian to display Greek text in Bibletime.
It is not perfect, but very readable.  Just my $0.02 US worth.

God bless,
Jeff

--
| http://jhoyt.faithweb.com |