[osis-users] OSIS cross-reference questions

Markku Pihlaja markku.pihlaja at sempre.fi
Thu Nov 22 07:40:13 MST 2012

I'm feeling a bit alone here now - quite a few questions still remain
unanswered after several days, and they are rather crucial for me to
continue my work.

To make answering easier, I'll sum up some more: there are now three
fundamental questions that need answers - all other questions are actually
derived from trying to solve them. So if you can't find answers to these
three (marked with Roman numbers I...III), feel free to help with the
previous ones (Arabic numbers 1...7 - or actually 2...6; 1 and 7 are the
same as I and III).

---------------------------

*I.* How do I markup a single but compound cross-reference that refers to
non-adjacent verses or ranges, so that it (structurally) differs from a
(more typical) note containing separate references to the same
verses/ranges?

*II.* How do I markup a reference to a note whose source is more complex
than just one verse or a contiguous range?

*III.* Is it possible to have a reference's osisRef with a sub-identifier
without a corresponding osisID having that (or any) sub-identifier?
*
*
Example:
<verse osisID="*Deut.32.15*" sID="Deut.32.15" />Jeshurun grew fat and
kicked; filled with food, he became heavy and sleek. He abandoned the God
who made him and rejected the Rock his Savior.<verse eID="Deut.32.15" />
<reference osisRef="*Deut.32.15!part2*">

---------------------------

And then to the wider variety of derived questions. No need to read further
if you managed to answer all three previous ones :).

I tried running different kinds of osisIDs through a validator integrated
to oXygen. As expected, a hyphen in an osisID wouldn't validate. But the
list of multiple space-separated single IDs does pass the validation.

Well, if we trust in what passes through the validator, I get answers to
many of my own questions (IF we trust the validator, that is):

*2)* Is listing multiple individual osisIDs separated by a space really
allowed in *a)*osisIDs *b)* osisRefs?
a) YES and b) YES, even though after carefully examining the type
declarations for osisRefRegex and osisIDRegex in the osisCore.2.1.1.xsd
file I still haven't found out how the spaces could be valid.

*3)* If the answer to 2a) is yes, what is allowed with a compound ID like
that?
It seems that any valid osisID will do as a component of such a compound
osisID.

Specifically, can I use sub-identifiers?
Thus: YES. But the exclamation mark and sub-identifier will need to be
attached to one of the component IDs, it can't follow a space.

*4)* If the answer to 2b) is yes, what is allowed in that compound ref?
Specifically, are ranges allowed in such compound refs?
Trying with a validator, it seems: YES. For example, this is judged valid:
osisRef="Gen.1.3 Gen.1.5-Gen.1.7 Gen.2.2-Gen.2.5"
even though Durusay's manual says that "a single osisRef cannot identify a
discontiguous range of a work".

This would seem to provide a step closer to being able to refer to notes
with the more complex sources I've been talking about (question II.),
although not quite. [Note that this wouldn't apply to normal compound
references to verses].

This would be valid:
<note type="crossReference" osisID="*Deut.32.15 Deut.32.17!crossReference*">
<reference osisRef="*Deut.32.15 Deut.32.17!crossReference*">Deut.
32.15,17</reference>

although !crossReference being attached only to verse 17 gives a slightly
false impression. Moreover, this would not be valid:
<note type="crossReference" osisID="*Deut.32.15
Deut.32.17-Deut.32.22!crossReference*">
because of the hyphen in an osisID.

My next idea would be rather unorthodox, and I hope you consider twice
before answering "no, of course that can't be done". I would love to solve
this problem in a beautiful, "standard OSIS" way. But since nobody has
given me a sufficient answer to how to do it, it seems I need to get
creative, with the cost of some "standard" conventions.

The osisRefRegex and osisIDRegex type declarations (and thus also
validators) allow some slightly peculiar formats, including "1.Gen.2",
"1.2.Gen", "1_.2", "1._.2" and even "_". Of course there is usually no
reason to use these forms.

*7)* Would something like this be acceptable?
<note type="crossReference" osisID="*Deut.32.15.Deut.32.17!crossReference*">
<reference osisRef="*Deut.32.15.Deut.32.17!crossReference*">Deut.
32.15,17</reference>
or
<note type="crossReference" osisID="*
Deut.32.15.Deut.32.17.Deut.32.22_Deut.32.26!crossReference*">

Funny as they look, they really are valid OSIS. So: what reasons are there
NOT to use them? I would of course document this convention carefully. I
emphasize the fact that I do need a way to refer to *notes* in addition to
verses and ranges.

Well, hopefully some of this is answerable.

Thanks again in advance, and sorry for bothering you with such long
messages.

Markku

21. Nov 2012 Markku Pihlaja:

Thanks for the reply,