[osis-core] semantics of <divineName>?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Jun 28 20:08:24 MST 2006

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
> In an effort to elaborate on the reasoning for <divineName> being
> specific to YHWH-- besides appealing to the fact that practically all
> modern literal translations small-cap this anomaly--  I have attempted
> to detail and defend their practice, below.
>
> I believe the history of the anomaly is that even as far back as the
> LXX, YHWH has been left untranslated from the Hebrew, out of reverence.

It's a bit older than that, even. Many Hebrew manuscripts (Qumran
scrolls, e.g.) were written in square Hebrew script, but record the
tetragrammaton in the archaic Phoenician script. See p. 14 of the
Phoenician script Unicode proposal, linked below, for a photo of an
example. P. 13 includes some LXX manuscripts with Greek text but
Phoenician tetragrammata.

http://std.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc2/wg2/docs/n2746.pdf

--Chris