[osis-core] semantics of <divineName>?

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu Jun 15 15:02:43 MST 2006

In an effort to elaborate on the reasoning for <divineName> being
specific to YHWH-- besides appealing to the fact that practically all
modern literal translations small-cap this anomaly--  I have attempted
to detail and defend their practice, below.

I believe the history of the anomaly is that even as far back as the
LXX, YHWH has been left untranslated from the Hebrew, out of reverence.

I believe Jews were not permitted to pronounce aloud YHWH ever, and only
in prayer and reading of Scripture do they even come close by
substituting for יְהוָה (YHWH), אֲדֹנָי (Adonai) ("the Lord" (Divine
Plural)).  Some have suggested that the exact pronunciation was not
known, and rather than guess and be wrong, it remained
untranslated/unspoken.  In any case...  The LXX either leaves YHWH
completely untranslated or substitutes the Greek κύριος (Lord).  And our
modern translations have followed suite.

http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp?del=all&add=KJV&add=WLC&add=LXX&key=Gen.2.8#cv

Bibles desiring to indicate where they have done this substitution
almost always use small caps.  Without the small caps, it would be
ambiguous if "Lord" was from the Hebrew אֲדֹנָי (Adonai) or was substituted
for the Hebrew יְהוָה (YHWH).

http://crosswire.org/study/parallelstudy.jsp?del=all&add=KJV&add=WLC&add=LXX&key=Gen.15.2#cv

Sorry to be so verbose, but this issue has lingered since the 1.0 days
and I'm hoping a more detailed explanation might clear things up.

	-Troy.