[osis-core] [osis-user] Re: semantics of <divineName>?

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sat Jun 17 21:55:36 MST 2006

Patrick,
	I'm sorry to disagree again with you.  I like you... Really... :)

	I'm not looking for how to make our chosen name apply most logically
for someone not familiar with marking Bibles.  If I were, I would
whole-heartedly agree with your proposal.

	My desire, years ago when proposing this tag, was specifically to
handle the existing anomaly in practically all literal translations of
the Bible.  We all talked about the best name for this anomaly, and
<divineName> was chosen.  Using this tag for any other reference to God,
like El-Shaddai, or for any other pseudo-divine entity like Allah, Baal,
Asher, or any other usage, would not be for what this tag is designed.

	Now, to address the logic of the currently selected tag name...

	YHWH IS THE DIVINE PROPER NAME THE ONE TRUE GOD HAS CHOSEN FOR HIMSELF.
  There is no ambiguity.  Any other reference to God is like calling
Patrick Durusau, The Master of All Things "Topic Maps".  Though
naturally everyone will truly understand this as a reference to Patrick
Durusau, no one would ever consider this your proper name.  Just the
same, YHWH is God's proper name.

	Again, back to the issue of OSIS...  Scriptural markup, as it exists
today in typeset Bibles, requires only a few core tags to represent.
One of these core tags is <divineName>, is a very specific anomaly
(detailed in my last email), and needs a very intentional, unambiguous
tag for this purpose.

	It's not just any 'Divine Name', it is very specifically: YHWH in the
Hebrew, purposely modified to something other than YHWH in a translation.

	-Troy.