[osis-core] [osis-user] Re: semantics of <divineName>?

Patrick Durusau patrick at durusau.net
Sun Jun 18 07:06:00 MST 2006

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>Patrick,
>	I'm sorry to disagree again with you.  I like you... Really... :)

Perhaps presumptuous of me, ;-) , but I assumed that. ;-)

>	I'm not looking for how to make our chosen name apply most logically
>for someone not familiar with marking Bibles.  If I were, I would
>whole-heartedly agree with your proposal.
>
>	My desire, years ago when proposing this tag, was specifically to
>handle the existing anomaly in practically all literal translations of
>the Bible.  We all talked about the best name for this anomaly, and
><divineName> was chosen.  Using this tag for any other reference to God,
>like El-Shaddai, or for any other pseudo-divine entity like Allah, Baal,
>Asher, or any other usage, would not be for what this tag is designed.
>
>	Now, to address the logic of the currently selected tag name...
>
>	YHWH IS THE DIVINE PROPER NAME THE ONE TRUE GOD HAS CHOSEN FOR HIMSELF.
>  There is no ambiguity.  Any other reference to God is like calling
>Patrick Durusau, The Master of All Things "Topic Maps".  Though
>naturally everyone will truly understand this as a reference to Patrick
>Durusau, no one would ever consider this your proper name.  Just the
>same, YHWH is God's proper name.

All very true and correct. And at the same time you are aware that the
same God, prior to revealing the *DIVINE PROPER NAME* was referred to by
other names. What you are suggesting is that even though we all know
that is the case, without any doubt at all, we should make it difficult
for users to find all the names for the same God, in order to priviledge
a practice in literal translations.

What I have suggested honors that tradition without putting anyone else,
such as scholars or non-literal translations of the Bible at a
disadvantage, all while avoiding the likelihood of mistaken use of the
element in question.

Yes, you are *absolutely* correct about our prior discussions on this
issue, which I attended and despite having been present, when I was
writing the user's manual, made the same mistake, due to fatigue or
simple oversight, that I suggest will be made by others.

BTW, I like you too!

Sorry I made the mistake in the users manual but I do think it
illustrates what is going to happen, however we resolve the "error" in
the users manual. Either by adopting the solution that works for
everyone or making the users manual consistent with what I now think was
a poor decision on our part.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

PS: Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there!