[osis-core] [osis-user] Re: semantics of <divineName>?

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Sun Jun 18 11:27:24 MST 2006

Patrick,

> Perhaps presumptuous of me, ;-) , but I assumed that. ;-)

	Thank you helping me start once again with a smile :)

> All very true and correct. And at the same time you are aware that the
> same God, prior to revealing the *DIVINE PROPER NAME* was referred to by
> other names. What you are suggesting is that even though we all know
> that is the case, without any doubt at all, we should make it difficult
> for users to find all the names for the same God, in order to priviledge
> a practice in literal translations.

No, I am not suggesting this.  I am suggesting that our tetragrammaton
tag be used ONLY for the tetragrammaton.  If that means changing the
name to something like Jim Albright has suggested, I'm fine with that,
but would rather not.  We all had official debate and finally buyin at
one point about this need and about the name of the tag-- and I remember
your hesitation at the time, and also your concession.  You don't get to
retract!  :)  I think the manual should be fixed to reflect the team
buyin, and if you still have a heartfelt disagreement, you can bring
that up at the next OSIS meeting with your suggested changes, and use
cases that demonstrate the need for modification.

> What I have suggested honors that tradition without putting anyone else,
> such as scholars or non-literal translations of the Bible at a
> disadvantage, all while avoiding the likelihood of mistaken use of the
> element in question.

"such as scholars" :)  I'll leave the exoneration of historic Bible
translator scholarship for a personal debate.

We are markup and computer science experts, and I can only speak for
myself, but I only consider myself an amateur Bible scholar.

I know how to capture what the experts have declared in their
introductions throughout the centuries.  The tetragrammaton markup is
one of these entities they have historically attempted to annotate.

Using the same tag for other references to God is directly opposed to
the purpose the scholars declare for their markup (small-caps).  Their
goal was to mark the tetragrammaton apart from other references to God.
  Their goal was NOT to mark references to God.

IMPORTANT: Also, I am still fighting for an entry level of core OSIS
software support which, very basically, is able to define simple
behavior for a tag, ignoring the plethora of attribute modifications.
For the most part, this is possible to do and not get 'wrong' results--
maybe not the best results, but at least not erroneous results.

Back to your original complaint-- that we are making "it difficult for
users to find all the names for the same God."  You have a wonderful
suggestion which will allow users to not only find all the references to
the only true God, but also will allow users to find all references to
Mary (specifically, the birth mother of the incarnate God), and Joseph
(her husband), and Paul (of Tarsus), and to disambiguates all other
entity references in the Bible.  I believe your suggestion was to use a
<name> tag attribute unique value in conjunction with a defined database
of explicit entities.

Maybe <divineName> should inherit <name> and supply the correct
attribute value for Almighty God.

Yeah, when are we going to finally get this functionality?!

	-Troy.