[osis-core] Re: div types in OSIS

Todd Tillinghast todd at snowfallsoftware.com
Mon Jan 3 21:39:51 MST 2005

Jim,

If it is a commentary then the normal book chapter verse reference
system is sufficient for what you are commenting on ("annotating") but
is not sufficient for the commentary itself.

The commentary is not ITSELF a Bible and as such would not naturally
take on book/chapter/verse type values for ITS osisID values.  Rather it
would specify the reference range(s) that it is talking about using the
annotateRef attribute.

This leaves the osisID of the commentary open for your own "reference
system" (not likely to be widely used externally but could be useful).

You are free to declare a reference system identical to the Bible and
use it for your commentary but I wouuld caution you that it is unlikely
to give you the results you want because the document you are working on
is not three levels (book/chapter/verse) but rather many more levels.

I would suggest something like [BookName].[section name or section
number].[paragraph/line group/list/table number].[fragment
number].[fragment number] etc...

That way you would have osisIDs like 2Tim.S1.P1.1.2 for the second
fragment in the first fragment in the first paragraph in the first
section in 2Tim.

Todd