[osis-core] Question on: General Defaulting Mechanism

Wed, 17 Mar 2004 13:28:18 -0500

Todd,

About to reach that section of the users manual.

Todd Tillinghast wrote:
> Patrick,
>
> Is there a better name for this attribute?
> This is two word element name with an action.  What about something like
> <defaultWork>?

You mean element?

My rough draft has:

<xs:element name="workPrefix" type="workPrefixCT" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>

with the model:

	<xs:complexType name="workPrefixCT">
	<!-- path must be: //GI/@attributeName -->
		<xs:attribute name="path" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
		<xs:attribute name="osisWork" type="osisWorkType" use="required"/>
		<xs:attributeGroup ref="globalWithoutType"/>
	</xs:complexType>

Agreed (at least I do) that we should strike the globals, so it would
become:

<xs:complexType name="workPrefixCT">
<!-- path must be: //GI/@attributeName -->
<xs:attribute name="path" type="xs:string" use="required"/>
<xs:attribute name="osisWork" type="osisWorkType" use="required"/>
</xs:complexType>

> Do we allow * for GI?  <defaultWork path="//*@osisID"
> prefix="osisWork"/> (This would seem to be equivalent to <osisText
> osisWorkID="osisWork">.)

Do I need the "*"?

Thought I could do (in XPATH):

//@osisID

McKay in his second edition (page 357) says you an do

//@osisID (well, he did not use an OSIS example, maybe in the next
edition), but does report that:

//*[@width] is more "natural."

Not sure what "natural" would mean to someone who writes tomes on XSLT
but there you have it. ;-)

> What about for the attribute? <defaultWork path="//w@*"
> prefix="osisWork"/>

See comment above on the path syntax.

> Do we leave the attributes on <osisText> for now but discourage their
> use?

Personally I think we should leave the attributes on <osisText> and note
this new mechanism as a refinement of it. If all I have is one work,
typical in a single translation, would not make much sense to have to
enumerate osisID, osisRef, etc. for the work prefix.

On the other hand, where I have a portion, perhaps repetitive, where I
want to use another work prefix, such as a commentary, I think this
would work quite well.

Comments?

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick