[osis-core] Three letter ISO codes are not valid values in xml:lang

Sun, 25 Jan 2004 15:38:45 -0500

Todd,

Actually xml:lang only recognizes two letter codes (ISO-639) and INANA
codes (prefix "i-") and, of course (probably where we got it) anything
following "x-".

Built-in limitation of the XML Spec. (Actually had to look it since most
of the stuff I am concerned with is always "x-".)

 From the XML 1.0 (Second Edition spec):

> 2.12 Language Identification
>
> In document processing, it is often useful to identify the natural or
> formal language in which the content is written. A special attribute
> named xml:lang may be inserted in documents to specify the language
> used in the contents and attribute values of any element in an XML
> document. In valid documents, this attribute, like any other, must be
> declared if it is used. The values of the attribute are language
> identifiers as defined by [IETF RFC 1766], Tags for the Identification
> of Languages, or its successor on the IETF Standards Track.

Hope you are having a great day!