[osis-core] Re: [osis-editors] OSIS 2 manual draft - errata and comments

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 14:51:47 -0700

<snip>

> > XSLT-Code snippets
> >
> > The names of the biblical books differ from language to language.
> > That makes it hard for people who are not familiar with the
> > English names, which are normative in OSIS. They cannot identify
> > the abrreviations for the books. I think it would be a great help
> > for webdevelopers if you published some kind of code snippets for
> > XSLT-Files, which translate the book names.
> > There should be files for the most common languages like Spanish,
> > French, Italian, German, Russian an Chinese and a
> > template file for others.
> >
> We actually worked on (had working at one point) an XSLT
transformation
> that actually rewrote the schema in target languages. Do you think
that,
> in addition to the book names would be a useful thing to have?

NO!  osisIDs should be viewed as language independent.  Yes they are
express using Western characters (we had to pick some representation)
but they should not be translated as they are not "English" names but
string tokens.

Todd

<snip>