[osis-core] Re: [osis-editors] OSIS 2 manual draft - errata and comments

Thu, 15 Jan 2004 16:26:47 -0500

Dear Daniel,

A couple of notes on your suggestions (btw, your examples were great):

Daniel Englbauer wrote:
> Dear editors,
>

> 21. osisIDs: Construction Rules & 22. osisRefs: Construction
> Rules
> I thought of another possible extension as example:
> Eg. Gen.18!J for the part of the "Jahwist", E for the "Elohist",
> P for the "Priest" and so on.

Interesting, I will be forwarding that to the osis-core list.

> XSLT-Code snippets
>
> The names of the biblical books differ from language to language.
> That makes it hard for people who are not familiar with the
> English names, which are normative in OSIS. They cannot identify
> the abrreviations for the books. I think it would be a great help
> for webdevelopers if you published some kind of code snippets for
> XSLT-Files, which translate the book names.
> There should be files for the most common languages like Spanish,
> French, Italian, German, Russian an Chinese and a
> template file for others.

We actually worked on (had working at one point) an XSLT transformation
that actually rewrote the schema in target languages. Do you think that,
in addition to the book names would be a useful thing to have?

> Links to the subject classification systems
> If authors are not librarians or doing classifications on a
> regular basis they have to "learn" it (if they want to do so).
> It would be helpful if there were links to websites or books
> provided, where one can get information.

Actually had those gathered up at one point, still have them in a draft
version. Don't recall now why we took them out. Good suggestion, will
put the links back in.

> History of Changes & Conversion-Tools
> There should be a history of changes in the OSIS core scheme in
> the appendix of the manual. This ,would make it easier to convert
> texts encoded with an earlier version of OSIS.
> It would be nice if there were some tools for converting older
> OSIS-versions into the new one, i.g. an XSLT 'program'.

Excellent, except that it will probably fall to me to do it. ;-) Will be
done, probably not in the end of January draft but hopefully by the end
of February. Have all the changes recorded but would take time to verify
and validate the final listing.

> The future of OSIS resp. of the manual
> I know this manual is only a first draft. But I'd find it helpful
> for my work if soon I had access to information on how to write
> articles, books, outlines etc. in OSIS. Most of the most used
> bibles seem to be converted into OSIS 2.0 right now.
> There was a lack of these passages already in the last draft for
> OSIS 1.5. I have no bible to encode but lots of texts since I'm
> the webmaster of three websites with theological articles,
> abstracts, original writings and outlines. Up to now the drafts
> are esp. for the use of OSIS with bibles and there only are
> remarks that texts other than bibles have to be encoded
> "differently" - but not how to do this in a correct manner.

On the agenda for a meeting of the core group later this month.

Thanks again for all the hard work!