[osis-core] annotateRef: Question on whitespace

Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:22:02 -0400

<snip>

>>What would y'all think of <reference osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble,2]"/>,
>>where we rule out whatever punctuation we use? I know, that has it's
>>own problem of looking like a match that it's not.... I can live with
>>the extra brackets.
>

> I like having a the text between [ and ] be the text to match on.

Agree strongly.

>>I do feel strongly, though, that we shouldn't make support for them
>>optional. I'd rather make support for grains optional in its
>>entirety, I think it would be less confusing. Of course, any
>>optionality leads to non-interoperability......
>>

> I think support of grains should not be optional.  I do think be should
> allow the "match number" to default to one.

Agree strongly.

> But I still prefer
> <reference osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble][2]"/>

Since Steve says he can live with the extra brackets, unless someone has
a technical reason for [trouble,2] being preferable, I will rewrite the
regex as suggested by Todd.

My own reasoning is that Todd's point about the first brackets
containing the text to match is a good one. I think it will be easier to
explain that [trouble] matches the first occurrence, period. When asked
now to match the second or third appearance, then say "you need the
extra [ ] with the number of the occurrence.

Hope everyone is having a great day!