[osis-core] annotateRef: Question on whitespace

Tue, 16 Sep 2003 20:56:39 -0600

> >Any comments on Todd's solution for second (or later
> occurrences of a
> >word?
> >
> >Looks like an easy solution to me.
> >
> >Hope everyone is having a great day!
>
> Funny, that's what we did in the comparable place in TEI extended
> pointers, and in XPointer at some stage.
> It's clunky, but certainly easy to explain and to implement.
>
> I kind of dislike the extra []: <reference
> osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble][2]"/>
>
> What would y'all think of <reference osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble,2]"/>,
> where we rule out whatever punctuation we use? I know, that has it's
> own problem of looking like a match that it's not.... I can live with
> the extra brackets.

I like having a the text between [ and ] be the text to match on.

> I do feel strongly, though, that we shouldn't make support for them
> optional. I'd rather make support for grains optional in its
> entirety, I think it would be less confusing. Of course, any
> optionality leads to non-interoperability......

I think support of grains should not be optional.  I do think be should
allow the "match number" to default to one.

I also considered
<reference osisRef="X.1.1@s2[trouble]"/>
<reference osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble]2"/>
<reference osisRef="X.1.1@s.2[trouble]"/>