[osis-core] annotateRef: Question on whitespace

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 16 Sep 2003 12:56:45 -0400

At 11:35 AM -0400 9/16/03, Patrick Durusau wrote:
>Greetings!
>
>Any comments on Todd's solution for second (or later occurrences of a word?
>
>Looks like an easy solution to me.
>
>Hope everyone is having a great day!

Funny, that's what we did in the comparable place in TEI extended
pointers, and in XPointer at some stage.
It's clunky, but certainly easy to explain and to implement.

I kind of dislike the extra []: <reference osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble][2]"/>

What would y'all think of <reference osisRef="X.1.1@s[trouble,2]"/>,
where we rule out whatever punctuation we use? I know, that has it's
own problem of looking like a match that it's not.... I can live with
the extra brackets.

I do feel strongly, though, that we shouldn't make support for them
optional. I'd rather make support for grains optional in its
entirety, I think it would be less confusing. Of course, any
optionality leads to non-interoperability......