[osis-core] [Fwd: Re: Lockman Bibles for the Sword project]

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 17:23:50 -0700

Pike,

> 2. I would agree with you. If <q> is used for OT quotes, making an
> exceptional use for it complicates possible future processing based on the
> <q> and </q> codes. You would then always need to account for the exception
> in any coding. Especially since the closing code is the same. The OT city is
> not related in any way to OT quotes. (Forgive me if I missed your point on
> this one).

Not sure if this was a typo on your part or mine in my first message to
you, but the 2 solutions proposed for OT citations in the NT are:

<q type="otCite">the Stone which the builders rejected</q>

and

<cite type="ot">the Stone which the builders rejected</cite>

We already have <q> in OSIS, and the recommendation which I opposed (and
I think you agreed with me) was to use <q> just adding an 'attribute
value' of 'otCite' for 'type' (NOTE: cite, as in citation, not 'city',
which is what you mention in your response above-- hence, maybe I
mistyped it somewhere in my first message to you).

I understand your point about the exception for <q> and the ending </q>
mark not having the distinction, but to their defense, this is fairly
common in XML.  Most XML tools will consider the entire
<q type="otCite">text</q> as one 'container' of data and will report the
attribute value [type="otCite"] for that container (so the end mark that
seems ambiguous really isn't a problem for standard XML tools).

I had proposed the latter, <cite>, solution for mostly the same reason
you gave: it removes the special processing exception for all <q> marks
to make sure they're not OT quotes.  I would bet most people will have a
basic OSIS renderer that will just change all <q>test</q> containers to
"text" and not look at any attribute values, so all these OT citations
would end up quoted.  I think <cite> relays a more useful meaning.  Most
people think of citing a work as footnoting as the source, but not
necessarily quoting word for word, unless of course there are " marks
included.  At least a basic OSIS renderer that didn't handle special
typography for these wouldn't produce something that was misleading to
the reader.

> 3. An algorithm to insert continuing quotes when rendering is more
> complicated than one would think...

This was great input.

> I hope my input helps.

Yes, all of your comments (even if you had disagreed with me, the same
would have been true) have been very appreciated.

> I have seen a little on the OSIS specification but have not studied them. I
> would love to have a copy of the NASB in this format to see what it is like.
> Thanks.

I have an OSIS 2.0 (well, pre 2.0, the new spec should be released in a
week or so) version of your NASB data validating against the
specification.  I am using extension mechanisms (ways to put extra stuff
not included in the specification) for the things we've talked about in
the last few emails.  If we get them added to the spec before it is
released, I can use the officially sanctioned mechanisms for these instead.

I'll keep ya posted on the progress.  Thank you for your encouragement
and support.  You've been such a refreshingly enjoyable person to work with!

	-Troy.