[osis-core] [Fwd: Re: Lockman Bibles for the Sword project]

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:38:56 -0400

Just one point to add re. mail below -- The Lockman's guy is
certainly right that getting the quotes correct in a style processor
is complicated -- but that leads me to exactly the opposite
conclusion: That's exactly why you should mark the *quote* itself,
and leave the rendering to a computer algorithm.

Editors and language proofreaders are not especially consistent
machines for enforcing or validating very complex rules like those
for quotes. Computers are. Also, (good) stylesheet-writers have the
kinds of skill required to write out the kinds of rules he mentiones
in (3) in a formal way -- then, once done, it simply works for all
future works (til the publisher changes the rules, of course).

Also, it will all still get proofread -- surely no reputable
publisher (like Lockman's) would go to press having only proofread
the raw pointy-brackets. The result of the quote algorithm will be
there in the galleys, and an error in the algorithm is far more
likely to be caught early, than an error of typing -- one reason
being that the rule error will show up repeatedly; another that even
when it doesn't, finding one immediately tells you it's a rule coding
error: your editor won't be so tempted to just retype it and go on
(perhaps missing the 20 others places where the same
author/editor/typist/whatever made the same error due to differing
understanding of the rules.

--

Steve DeRose -- http://www.derose.net
Chair, Bible Technologies Group -- http://www.bibletechnologies.net