[osis-core] splitIDs for 1.9.6?

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:25:37 -0400

Greetings!

Did some research on all our prior stuff on splitIDs and we had the
following issues:

1. Positive integer (Todd asked if order was implied)

2. What about elements with no osisID? (at one point we discussed
hanging something on the end but I think we have that not, not
necessarily for use with splitting.

<q>, <verse>

One suggested resolution: (see below on milestoneable before agreeing
with this)

<q>, <verse>. (document that this is completely separate from osisID)

B. Document that splitIDs must be common among the parts split but to be
useful, should be unique within the document.

Ex.

<verse splitID="123">blah, blah</verse>
<verse splitID="123">blah, blah</verse>

.... somewhere later:

<verse splitID="321">blah, blah</verse>
<verse splitID="321">blah, blah</verse>

C. No ordering (aside from document order?) implied, just gives the
application all the parts that were split.

D. If splitIDs are used, should be documented in the header.

Question:

How does that play out with our milestoneable strategy?

Milestoneable elements, abbr, chapter, closer, div, foreign, l, lg, q,
salute, seg, signed, speech, verse,

Should we say (can't limit in schema) the use of splitIDs to when the
element is used as milestones? Since we are no longer segmenting the
element but offering it as a milestone?

Thinking of:

<verse sID="Patrick1" splitID="321"/>blah, blah</verse eID="Patrick1">
<verse sID="Patrick2"splitID="321">blah, blah</verse eID="Patrick2">

The sID/eID link the beginning and ending milestones but the splitID
links the two sets of milestones.

<verse>, but only when used as milestoneable elements? (the second proposal)

The second, while not enforceable, does appear to be more consistent
with the "Troy" milestone strategy.

Hope everyone is having a great day!