[osis-core] quotes

Steven J. DeRose osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:51:53 -0400

Seems to me there are a couple questions in here....

1) Quotes interrupted by something, like "she said with a smile; then
ocntinuing with a less friendly expression,", etc -- in this case,
there is a good case that the stuff on both sides form a
discontiguous but single quotation.

In such cases, I think it would be valuable to be able to say that. I
know two ways to do that:

a: co-index the quotes before and after (like with "continued-in" and
"continues" attributes, or some such -- a lot like segmentation, but
I agree with Troy that it's not the same thing conceptually..

b: Mark the interrupting text as such (semantically, flagging it so
that it doesn't inherit the property "is a quote" (or "is a quote of
the same level", in certain grosser cases), from the quote; then mark
the whole quote as a unit. This seems trickier, especially to
process, so I favor (a).

The other question involves the relationship of these structures to
typography. English, I think, is one of the easier languages. It does
have the silliness (IMHO) about leaving the close quote off of a
paragraph when the quote continues into the next paragraph, but *not*
leaving off the balancing re-open quote at the start of the next
para), but that's not too hard to process as a special case in your
XSL (I think). But I believe Spanish typography has much more
complicated conventions, that let you tell from the punctuation
whether you're in the first part, a medial part, or the last part of
a discontiguous quotation -- I don't know the rules, but I'm pretty
sure they'd rquire at least knowing which quoted bits are part of the
same conceptual quotation.

This knowledge is also needed to do sensible searching: "Where did
Jesus say X?" can't just be treated as Select element e where e.type
= "Q" and e.text contains X.... because His utterance may have been
split across Qs -- even though the SQL to do the query right will be
gross, I think we should at least have enough markup to make it
*possible".

You could typeset a red-letter edition fine without this, but search
imposes more requirements.

So I favor some way of marking up what part of a quote we're in -- I
remember adding something for that after huge discussions after the
Rome meeting -- but I don't remember what the resolution was. Anybody
remember? It's suely in the notes somewhere....