[osis-core] quotes

Tue, 14 Oct 2003 15:55:02 -0700

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

>>> Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, ``Rulers and
>>> elders of the people, if we are on trial today for a benefit done to
>>> a sick man, as to how this man has been made well, let it be known to
>>> all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus
>>> Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the
>>> dead--by this name this man stands here before you in good health.
>>> ``He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH
>>> BECAME THE CHIEF CORNERstone.
>>> ``And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name
>>> under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."
>

> I would suggest that Chris' statement, that, in the above quotation,
> continuation quotes should go:
>
>     ...at the beginning of the succeeding paragraph.
>     It's not at all ambiguous.  There's no other possible
>     interpretation, at least within modern documents.
>
> is a little presumptuous as I would probably guess something completely
> different.  Lockman did not include <PM> paragraph break markers at
> these points where continuation marks are included (this text was
> directly from Lockman's data).  I would guess they were at the beginning
> of a new sentence.  But I am still not willing to place my presumption
> on their data.  I am still just trying to be a faithful scribe and
> encode the information that they have given me.

Okay, sorry, I assumed your returns represented paragraph breaks.  I
checked Lockman's document and their Libronix version of the same
passage (Acts.4.10-Acts.4.12) and see what they're doing (and why).

What I described is the standard way of using continuation quotation
marks in English.  Lockman's standard way of rendering the NASB is to
put each verse on a different line.  My markup stands as the correct way
to mark the NASB for this passage, but Lockman's stylesheet would need a
different algorithm to render in their standard style.  For them, the
algorithm would be:
If you have started a quotation but not ended it and you encounter a
VERSE break, you don't render a closing quotation mark (since that only
comes when the quotation itself is ended) but you render another open
quotation mark at the beginning of the succeeding VERSE.

It makes complete sense for them to render this way, given their
presentation.  And neither encoding nor rendering are at all ambiguous.

--Chris