[osis-core] quotes

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:57:27 -0700

>> Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, ``Rulers and
>> elders of the people, if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a
>> sick man, as to how this man has been made well, let it be known to
>> all of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus
>> Christ the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the
>> dead--by this name this man stands here before you in good health.
>> ``He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH
>> BECAME THE CHIEF CORNERstone.
>> ``And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name
>> under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

I would suggest that Chris' statement, that, in the above quotation,
continuation quotes should go:

	...at the beginning of the succeeding paragraph.
	It's not at all ambiguous.  There's no other possible
	interpretation, at least within modern documents.

is a little presumptuous as I would probably guess something completely
different.  Lockman did not include <PM> paragraph break markers at
these points where continuation marks are included (this text was
directly from Lockman's data).  I would guess they were at the beginning
of a new sentence.  But I am still not willing to place my presumption
on their data.  I am still just trying to be a faithful scribe and
encode the information that they have given me.

An additional support for a different tag, restated from a previous
post, consider encoding the following:

According to Chris, continuation quotes should always go at the
beginning of paragraphs where a quote spans the break and 'there is no
other possible interpretation'(1)

1. Little, Chris, osis-core, Re: quotes, 2:37pm

Everything after "According to Chris" is a quote/cite/allusion to Chris'
words much like the SMALL CAPS are used in most all new testaments.  I
still it's a very different thing in most cases than a direct quote, and
is akin to how we cite sources without quoting them directly in research
papers.

	-Troy.