[osis-core] quotes

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 11:13:56 -0700

Steve,
	Thank you for commenting on this.  I agree that we need some mechanism
to preserve places where continuation quotes might go, as opposed to
only an algorithm to determine such and dispose of any markings in data
we're converting.

	The second issue involved the introduction of a new tag for citing a
source, but not necessarily quoting word for word.  The difference is
akin to that in research papers.  Sometimes you footnote an exact quote
from a source; othertimes, you footnote a cite of a source, but used
your own words.  One uses (") marks, and the other doesn't, and the
distinction is clear and understood by all.  There is a <cite> tag in
XHTML which, I feel, does this, as well, though they have 2 usages for
it, and their examples only show the other usage. From:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-xhtml2-20030131/mod-text.html#edef_text_cite

The SPECIFICATION claims:

8.4. The cite element

The cite element contains a citation or a reference to other sources.
____________

I proposed this to deal with OT citations found in the NT.  They are not
quotes, and most all modern translation do not mark them as such.  They
set them off with a typography like SMALL CAPS.  It was suggested to use
<q> possibly with an additional type value for this, but I feel this
conveys a meaning beyond what is acceptable, and is dangerous, if a
stylesheet writer chooses to render all 'q' elements as ".

An example of a real case that I'm working on which contains both
problems is taken from the NASB data from Lockman:

Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them, ``Rulers and
elders of the people, if we are on trial today for a benefit done to a
sick man, as to how this man has been made well, let it be known to all
of you and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ
the Nazarene, whom you crucified, whom God raised from the dead--by this
name this man stands here before you in good health.
``He is the STONE WHICH WAS REJECTED by you, THE BUILDERS, but WHICH
BECAME THE CHIEF CORNERstone.
``And there is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name
under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."

Note continuation quotes and SMALL CAPS in the data.  I'm looking for a
solution to transfer this data in OSIS.  It has been suggested to drop
the continuations quotes, use <q> for the start and end of the quote by
Peter, and use <q type="otCite"> for the SMALL CAPS.  As stated before,
I feel using <q> for the OT cites is dangerous, and feel there is a need
for a non-word-for-word cite tag, as show by the common practice use in
research papers and the presence of the tag in XHTML.

If the cite tag is not deemed valuable, then is there another more
special purpose tag I could use (although Kirk cited examples in the OT
that cited other sources besides Scripture that he might wish to use
these for, as well)?  We use to have <otPassage> for this purpose, and
don't recall what it was dropped in favour of.

	-Troy.