[osis-core] osisCore.1.9

Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:38:07 -0700 (MST)

Troy,

When you convert between schemata, you need to make certain judgements
about what was intended by the designers of each.  The Lockman DTD uses a
paragraph division marker to indicate paragraph breaks.  They probably
based that on the less correct usage of the HTML <P> element that you see
floating around in so many badly encoded documents, but any decent editor
or program like HTML Tidy will thankfully correct for you.

We do provide a mechanism for correctly marking paragraphs; it's the <p>
element, and it's not a milestone unless you give it start & end IDs.  If
you find Lockman's paragraph division marker, that indicates you're
between two paragraphs.  Every one of them should be turned into
the end.  (This is not a general purpose solution, since paragraphs could
conceivably cross chapter boundaries, but it does not occur in the NASB.)

Lockman and OSIS have a different manner of marking paragraphs, but the
essential fact is that they identify what constitutes a paragraph.  If you
can identify what constitutes a paragraph according to Lockman's DTD, then
you put it inside a <p> element in OSIS.  Marking it with <milestone
type="x-p"/> isn't very useful since it will never be handled by any
stylesheet or OSIS application that you don't implement yourself.
Likewise, setting down <p/> elements at breakpoints as you suggested we
allow, is a violation not only of the schema but of the semantics of the

--Chris