[osis-core] paragraph break defended once again.

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Sat, 11 Oct 2003 11:58:23 -0700

Chris,

> We do provide a mechanism for correctly marking paragraphs; it's the <p>
> element, and it's not a milestone unless you give it start & end IDs.

Agreed.  Our current schema only allows a <p></p> CONTAINER, and does
not allow for a 'Paragraph Break' marker.  I am arguing that it should.
  The overwhelming number of texts that I have seen all include a
paragraph break marker.  Determining a paragraph CONTAINER is a task
that we currently FORCE on the encoder of a document.  I am suggesting
that we DON'T force this on the encoder; but instead, we should supply
them with a 'Paragraph Break' construct.

This is what I'm proposing.  If you disagree, that is fine.  But I think
it is the job of the AUTHOR/EDITOR to decide and explicitly state a
paragraph container, if they wish to do so-- not the job of the encoder
to guess.  As authors understand this new tool we've given them (<p>
CONTAINERS), I'm sure they will begin to use such.  But some texts will
NEVER have these, including ancient fragments of documents that might
have some indication of paragraph delineation, which we should STILL be
able to encode.

Again, my proposal is to allow a paragraph break semantic that IS
recognized by stylesheets, and I think <p/> would require NO change to
an existing stylesheet, and also fully conveys the intent-- a 'paragraph
break'.

If no one else thinks we need an OSIS recognized 'Paragraph Break'
construct, I will think you all mad, but will concede quietly.

	-Troy