[osis-core] OT Quote in NT

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:11:48 -0700

Chris,

> You're basing your argument on presentation, not meaning.  I don't think
> we should go down that road.

Agreed that we don't want to go down the road of basing elements on
presentation rather than meaning.

I'm not positive which part of my message makes you feel that I'm doing
this.  My reference that <q> and ", ', `, et. al. should be similar was
not intended to do this (if that was the offending segment).  The
purpose of the correlation is to assign a 'traditional' definition of
QUOTE to our <q> element.

> It also sounds like you're using <q> and </q> just as stand-ins for
> open/close quotation marks rather conceiving of them as a container for
> a quotation itself.

Yes, I am.  I would like to assign the meaning to the XML markup of <q>
from the traditional English markup of ", ', `, et. al.  My argument is
that authors already have a definition in their head for when to use ",
', `, et. al. and I would like to capitalize on their understanding.

	-Troy.