[osis-core] New milestone use of elements

Wed, 28 May 2003 17:15:27 -0400

>The trouble with deferring the issue is that we have to pick either mID
>or mS/mE for the immediate release.  By choosing an option it would seem
>that we are also not diferring the issue.

I think we need clarity on what everyone thinks the "issue" is first of
all. (see below)

>Here is an example of my problem with not allowing there to be milestone
>starts and ends without their partner.

I don't think I have ever intimated that you could not have a milestone
start without a milestone end or vice versa. BTW, I don't think your
example is about this point.

>If I want to create a document
>that is just a single section and a quote starts in the previous section
>then the previous section must also be included.  If a verse continues
>from the section prior to the one already added then the preceding
>section would also have to be included.  This can go on and on.  If I
>know this is the end or starting milestone marker then I can also know
>that the partner was truncated.

This is precisely the XML Fragment question, which is discussed at:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-fragment.

Note that it is presumed in XML Fragment land that at one point there
was a well-formed document and that the fragment appears from that document.

One issue is do we presume a valid document at the beginning and then
the fragment is obtained from that point? (This means that you would not
"create" a document as in your instance but would obtain the fragment
from a valid document.)

Will look at Troy's latest post.

Patrick