[osis-core] New milestone use of elements

Wed, 28 May 2003 15:06:04 -0400

Troy,

Troy A. Griffitts wrote:

> Patrick,
>     I think Todd would argue that with mB and mE you know if you have
> the end or the beginning milestone.

Yes, but he has yet to answer how the example I gave below is any
different? If there is no matching milestone, you lose the container
semantics. Doesn't matter which way it fails.

>     And I was arguing early (against both of you, I guess), that if we
> say that the rule is:

Could not have been arguing with me as I was agreeing with you. No,
wait, Troy is capable of that! ;-) (humor)

>     OSIS milestone semantics are exactly identical to their container
> counterparts.

OK, but I would say that OSIS milestones (such as the elements that we
were going to have in the milestoneSE type attribute) carry the same
attributes at their container counterparts (one reason for this
solution) and can be treated as containers, if the application so
desires. Can also be treated as traditional milestones.

>     Then it seems it would be an INVALID OSIS excerpt that only
> included a start or an end milestone.  Patrick, I do realize that it
> would be XML-valid, but NOT OSIS valid, if indeed the above mentioned
> rule was in effect.

We have not covered OSIS fragments, which is what this issues addresses,
which is separate from the issue of the milestone behavior triggering
that you argued for, successfully I might add, in Dallas.

>     So I guess, in conclusion....
>
> IF ((this indeed is a rule) AND (we concede that the excerpt would be
> invalid)) THEN
>     I am in favour of 'mID' instead of any combination of 'mB', 'mE',
> 'mS'.

I am in favor of mID as well. Does it matter that we differ on why? ;-)

Patrick