[osis-core] Milestone proposal

Mon, 26 May 2003 07:37:21 -0400

Greetings!

Thanks to everyone for a very successful meeting!

One of the more significant developments was a new milestone proposal
from Troy. Basically it says that rather than duplicate the attributes
of other elements, such as the who of quotes, we should allow elements
to be written as empty elements and require an attribute that carry the
semantic "this is a milestone" and links it to its milestone partner.
Note that begining and ending milestones are determined by order in the
document stream.

I will be working on the schema this week and the only possible problem
may be that we have elements that have required content (read other
elements) which would result in not being able to use this mechanism
with those elements. I will check more carefully this week and would
suggest that if such exist, we may be able to lossen the content models
to make content optional so that the mechanism proposed by Troy will
work quite seamlessly. (well, outside of the header elements, but even
there I assume we can allow the mechanism for markup inside the header
elements. Or is that a distinction that makes any sense?)

Hope everyone is having a great day!