[osis-core] Milestone proposal

Troy A. Griffitts osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 27 May 2003 23:59:15 -0700

Yes, the proposal is to change the milestone syntax for tagging:
<verse osisID="John.1.1">In the beginning...</verse>

FROM:
<milestoneStart type="verse" end="X" osisID="John.1.1"/>In the
beginning...<milestoneEnd type="verse" start="X"/>

TO:

<verse osisID="John.1.1" mID="X"/>In the beginning...<verse mID="X"/>

Todd brought up a good point before we left that we should discuss.
He pointed out that if we have an excerpt of an OSIS doc that contains
the ending milestone, we won't be able to tell that it is an end
milestone, as opposed to a start milestone.

I agreed with him in Dallas, but have thought about it and I'm not sure now.

If, indeed, milestone 'containers' should be treated exactly like real
XML containers, then the proposed problem case should be illegal anyway.
  So, I'm not sure.  I don't mind either, really.  Todd's proposed
change would look something like:

<verse osisID="John.1.1" mB="X"/>In the beginning...<verse mE="X"/>