[osis-core] allowing "short" as a <title> type

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:29:55 -0700

Todd,

The short title is partly an SFM artifact.  Although we should work to
accomodate data (at least Bibles) held in SFM because some of our users
have a lot of data in that format, we should avoid being too influenced
by the design of SFM, which is largely unreasoned and the result of bad
practices of individuals being adopted as standard.

That said, others do acknowledge the short title, but they do not
generally present it in the same way as other titles.  The short title
is not actually an independent title, it's the short form, an
abbreviation, of the real title.  It's not part of the document stream,
but metadata.  Whether by intention or not, we've done a good job of
ensuring that (outside of the header section) all PCDATA is part of the
document stream.

<title> and divTitle have somewhat different semantics.  <title> simply
indicates a title to something, without indicating what that thing is.
It can realistically occur anywhere within those elements that can
contain it and does not necessarily indicate that it is the title of its
entire container.  divTitle does necessarily represent the title of the
whole <div>.  divTitle is not necessarily the place to put a short
title, but doing so would follow the practice of both CCEL and me.  (I
do think <title> is the wrong place to put a short title, unless we were
to add an abbr attribute to <title>--which I'm not suggesting.)  I also
consider it perfectly appropriate to place a full title within divTitle
in the absense of something else more appropriate.