[osis-core] allowing "short" as a <title> type

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 16:04:10 -0600

Chris,

I think there are two independent issues:
1) Should the "short" title be encoded outside of the header?
I don't believe that everything that is encoded should be a part of the
"text stream".  Even if SFM files did not have a 'short' name I think it
is still a useful practice to encode the short form of a title.  The
values I have used in <title type='short'> are not abbreviations.  The
short title "Matthew" is not an abbreviation for "The Gospel According
to Matthew".  It should up the rendering process to determine how,
where, and which title will be used (if at all).  On this basis I think
it makes sense to add "short" to osisTitles.

2) How should "divTitle" be used and what is its meaning?
I agree that "divTitle" would mean the title of the entire <div>.
However, there can be more than one title that applies to the entire
are expected to apply to the entire <div> element they follow.

>From what you wrote below it would seem that you agree that we should
expect that encoders would use either "divTitle" or a child <title>
element.  It would seem difficult to explain when "divTitle" should be
used and when a <title> element should be used.  It is possible that in
some cases the title would be in a 'divTitle' element but in other cases
because another title supersedes the same type of title that a <title>
element would be used.

I still think it makes sense to remove "divTitle".