[osis-core] <div type="group"> and Deut.33

Wed, 11 Jun 2003 17:09:16 -0600

I have come across an interesting case in an SFM file I am converting to
an OSIS document.

In Deut.33 there a number of "lines" that are grouped together.

Kirk can you comment to any special nature of Deut.33 in the Hebrew that
would make it natural to translate it as groups of "lines"?

In the past I have heard from Patrick a quiet objection to using <lg>
with <l> for text outside of passages that are clearly poetry.  (Psalms,
Song of Solomon, etc... are clearly poetry).

I all of the SFM files I have come across so far different format
markers are used to indicate a "poetic" group of lines.

In the case I have just run across, each "line" is marked the same way
paragraphs are marked else where.  BUT there is a "break" marker to
signal the division between groups of lines and the "paragraphs" are
VERY short.

Kees, do you think this is a case where they could have used "q" rather
than "p" and been more accurate?

QUESTION:
Should this sort of thing always be encoded as a <lg> with <l> elements
OR should we hold the collection of <p> elements within a <div
type="group"> to preserve the grouping of lines?

I think that if Patrick has uneasiness about using <lg> in Deut that
other people may also share his concern.  (Patrick, please correct me if
I have misjudged your opinion.)

For people that don't want to use <lg> for this sort of thing, I am
proposing <div type="group">.  (This accommodation will avoid the
temptation to put in <p type="blank"/> to put a blank line between the
set of lines.)

If we all agree that this should be a <lg> then we don't need to add
"group" to osisDivs.

Todd