[osis-core] Request for OSIS "unofficial" DTD

Fri, 6 Jun 2003 10:01:38 -0600

Kirk,

<snip>

>  > The danger would be that people could create documents that are
>  > valid with respect to the DTD and not be valid with respect to the
>  > schema.
>
> Hmmm? Let me expose my ignorance. If the DTD is generated from the
> schema, and if one makes the appropriate changes in a document in the
> header to reference the schema and not the DTD, why would it not be
valid?

That would be valid, but I would expect that most people would not be as
conscientious as you might be.

>  > To make things worse the XML documents created relative to the DTD
>  > would reference the DTD and not the official schema, which would
>  > lead to two different standards in practice.
>
> Ummm. Good point, especially if it is unavoidable that a
> DTD-conforming document would not be a schema-conforming document.

It is not unavoidable, but likely.  It is possible to create a
schema-conforming document in Microsoft Notepad but the environment does
not help you stay on the straight and narrow path.

>  > I could make you a DTD for EVERY release of the schema using XML
>  > Spy for your use with DTD only tools, but I think we should resist
>  > making a DTD officially available.
>
> Well, if using such a DTD will make it invalid with reference to the
> schema, then I can't see much point it using it much myself in
> authoring even transitional documents.

I would expect that the DTD would lead to the correct nesting of
elements but attributes with regexs and possibly things with enumerated
"type" attributes would be problematic.

What OS do you use?

<snip>

Todd