[osis-core] Request for OSIS "unofficial" DTD

Kirk Lowery osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 09:58:23 -0400

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

 > I see a problem with having two official "statements" of the
 > standard (DTD and schema).

I understand. That's why I called it an "unofficial" DTD.

 > The danger would be that people could create documents that are
 > valid with respect to the DTD and not be valid with respect to the
 > schema.

Hmmm? Let me expose my ignorance. If the DTD is generated from the
schema, and if one makes the appropriate changes in a document in the
header to reference the schema and not the DTD, why would it not be valid?

 > To make things worse the XML documents created relative to the DTD
 > would reference the DTD and not the official schema, which would
 > lead to two different standards in practice.

Ummm. Good point, especially if it is unavoidable that a
DTD-conforming document would not be a schema-conforming document.

 > I could make you a DTD for EVERY release of the schema using XML
 > Spy for your use with DTD only tools, but I think we should resist
 > making a DTD officially available.

Well, if using such a DTD will make it invalid with reference to the
schema, then I can't see much point it using it much myself in
authoring even transitional documents.

<sigh>
I guess I'll continue to search (and wait) for real schema-supporting
authoring tools for XML documents...I'm experimenting with Topologi
now....
</sigh>

Blessings,

Kirk
--
Kirk E. Lowery, Ph.D.
Director, Westminster Hebrew Institute

Theorie ist, wenn man alles weiss und nichts klappt.
Praxis ist, wenn alles klappt und keiner weiss warum.
Bei uns sind Theorie und Praxis vereint:
nichts klappt und keiner weiss warum!