[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:37:53 -0500

--------------010500050801000900080505

Todd,

The problem is there is no such thing as an NASB text that also has a
Hebrew Bible reference system. Since one does not exist, why are you
pressing for this ability? Mappings between reference systems should be
handled in software systems and not markup.

I can almost see your last example, for Harry where Augustine has more
than one historical reference system but in that case you just declare
both editions and use two different osisRefs to indicated the different
editions.

This is not a problem that really exists anywhere. If you want to do
mapping, do it at the software level and leave markup out of it. All you
need for mapping is a single declaration of what text this "is" and if
you have a map for that edition of that work, all is well.

Let me say it back to you: You want to have the ability to say that a
particular part of a text is known by different reference systems and to
indicate in markup, the citation of that text in each of those reference
systems. Is that fairly close?

So to use your example why can't I say:

<verse osisID="nasb:Ps.1.1><reference osisRef="nasb2:Ps.1.2"/>

Get the same results, unnecessary though I think they are, without changing the present schema.

>In Toronto we determined that when resolving a reference that ALL of the
>elements in the <work> element in the referring document must be present
>in the THIS <work> element of the document being referred to.
>
>REFERING DOCUMENT:
><osisText>
>	<header>
>		<work osisWork="nasb">
>			<title>NASB</title>
>			<refSystem>Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
>		</work>
>	</header>
>		<reference osisRefs="nasb:Ps.1.2"/>
></osisText>
>

>TARGET DOCUMENT - CURRENT SCHEMA
>This is a matching document because the THIS <work> has the only
>elements must be declared in order to provide for the multiple reference
>systems.
>
><osisText osisWorkID="nasbFirstCopy">
>	<header>
>		<work osisWork="nasbFirstCopy">
>			<title>NASB</title>
>			<creator>some text</creator>
>			... more meta data ....
>			<refSystem>Bible.NASB</refSystem>
>		</work>
>		<work osisWork="nasbSecondCopy">
>			<title>NASB</title>
>			<creator>some text</creator>
>			... more meta data ....
>			<refSystem>Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
>		</work>
>	</header>
>		<verse osisID="nasbFirstCopy:Ps.1.1
>nasbSecondCopy:Ps.1.2
></osisText>
>
>Notice that the THIS <work> element must be stated twice but can only be
>indicated once (using osisWorkID in <osisText>).  The valid reference,
>stated above, to this document can not be used due to the deficiency of
>the schema.  Both supported reference systems must be allowed to be
>children of the SINGLE THIS <work> element.
>

>TARGET DOCUMENT - PROPOSED SCHEMA
><osisText osisWorkID="nasb">
>	<work>
>		<title>NASB</title>
>		<creator>some text</creator>
>		... more meta data ....
>		<refSystem id="nasb>Bible.NASB</refSystem>
>		<refSystem id="Hebrew">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
>	</work>
>	<header>
>	</header>
>		<verse osisID="nasb:Ps.1.1 hebrew:Ps.1.2
></osisText>
>
>In this case the single <work> element that details THIS document has
>more than one reference system.  Now when the reference identifies a
>matching document based on the match of the needed child elements of
>THIS <work>, the appropriate reference system can be selected from the
>SINGLE <work> element that represents THIS work.
>
>Does this help clear things up?
>
>Todd

Co-Editor, ISO Reference Model for Topic Maps

--------------010500050801000900080505

<head>
  <title></title>
</head>
Todd,<br>
The problem is there is no such thing as an NASB text that also has a Hebrew
Bible reference system. Since one does not exist, why are you pressing for
this ability? Mappings between reference systems should be handled in software
systems and not markup.<br>
I can almost see your last example, for Harry where Augustine has more than
one historical reference system but in that case you just declare both editions
and use two different osisRefs to indicated the different editions.<br>
This is not a problem that really exists anywhere. If you want to do mapping,
do it at the software level and leave markup out of it. All you need for
mapping is a single declaration of what text this "is" and if you have a
map for that edition of that work, all is well. <br>
Let me say it back to you: You want to have the ability to say that a particular
part of a text is known by different reference systems and to indicate in
markup, the citation of that text in each of those reference systems. Is
that fairly close?<br>
So to use your example why can't I say:
<pre wrap="">&lt;verse osisID="nasb:Ps.1.1&gt;&lt;reference osisRef="nasb2:Ps.1.2"/&gt;

Get the same results, unnecessary though I think they are, without changing the present schema.

Patrick
</pre>
Todd Tillinghast wrote:<br>
 cite="mid000001c2c82d$5e2aec30$8100a8c0@halogenlight">
  <pre wrap="">In Toronto we determined that when resolving a reference that ALL of the
elements in the &lt;work&gt; element in the referring document must be present
in the THIS &lt;work&gt; element of the document being referred to.

REFERING DOCUMENT:
&lt;osisText&gt;
	&lt;header&gt;
		&lt;work osisWork="nasb"&gt;
			&lt;title&gt;NASB&lt;/title&gt;
			&lt;refSystem&gt;Bible.Hebrew&lt;/refSystem&gt;
		&lt;/work&gt;
	&lt;/header&gt;
	&lt;div&gt;
		&lt;reference osisRefs="nasb:Ps.1.2"/&gt;
	&lt;/div&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;

TARGET DOCUMENT - CURRENT SCHEMA
This is a matching document because the THIS &lt;work&gt; has the only
required &lt;work&gt; element, "&lt;title&gt;NASB&lt;/title&gt;", but multiple THIS &lt;work&gt;
elements must be declared in order to provide for the multiple reference
systems.

&lt;osisText osisWorkID="nasbFirstCopy"&gt;
	&lt;header&gt;
		&lt;work osisWork="nasbFirstCopy"&gt;
			&lt;title&gt;NASB&lt;/title&gt;
			&lt;creator&gt;some text&lt;/creator&gt;
			... more meta data ....
			&lt;refSystem&gt;Bible.NASB&lt;/refSystem&gt;
		&lt;/work&gt;
		&lt;work osisWork="nasbSecondCopy"&gt;
			&lt;title&gt;NASB&lt;/title&gt;
			&lt;creator&gt;some text&lt;/creator&gt;
			... more meta data ....
			&lt;refSystem&gt;Bible.Hebrew&lt;/refSystem&gt;
		&lt;/work&gt;
	&lt;/header&gt;
	&lt;div&gt;
		&lt;verse osisID="nasbFirstCopy:Ps.1.1
nasbSecondCopy:Ps.1.2
	&lt;/div&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;

Notice that the THIS &lt;work&gt; element must be stated twice but can only be
indicated once (using osisWorkID in &lt;osisText&gt;).  The valid reference,
stated above, to this document can not be used due to the deficiency of
the schema.  Both supported reference systems must be allowed to be
children of the SINGLE THIS &lt;work&gt; element.

TARGET DOCUMENT - PROPOSED SCHEMA
&lt;osisText osisWorkID="nasb"&gt;
	&lt;work&gt;
		&lt;title&gt;NASB&lt;/title&gt;
		&lt;creator&gt;some text&lt;/creator&gt;
		... more meta data ....
		&lt;refSystem id="nasb&gt;Bible.NASB&lt;/refSystem&gt;
		&lt;refSystem id="Hebrew"&gt;Bible.Hebrew&lt;/refSystem&gt;
	&lt;/work&gt;
	&lt;header&gt;
	&lt;/header&gt;
	&lt;div&gt;
		&lt;verse osisID="nasb:Ps.1.1 hebrew:Ps.1.2
	&lt;/div&gt;
&lt;/osisText&gt;

In this case the single &lt;work&gt; element that details THIS document has
more than one reference system.  Now when the reference identifies a
matching document based on the match of the needed child elements of
THIS &lt;work&gt;, the appropriate reference system can be selected from the
SINGLE &lt;work&gt; element that represents THIS work.

Does this help clear things up?

Todd

    <pre wrap="">I'm not clear on exactly what problem we're trying to solve.

No prefix means my default ref system (the refSystem inside my own
work entry), prefix means lookup the work in the header and use it's
refsystem, right?  This is true for both osisID's and osisRef's, isn't
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">it?
    </pre>
  <pre wrap=""><!---->
That's what I think but cf. Todd's response and earlier posts. I am
really trying to understand the problem Todd sees but quite honestly I
have not gotten there. Even in a long conversation in Toronto.

Patrick

  </pre>
    <pre wrap="">    -Troy.