[osis-core] RE: Work Issue

Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:01:04 -0700

In Toronto we determined that when resolving a reference that ALL of the
elements in the <work> element in the referring document must be present
in the THIS <work> element of the document being referred to.

REFERING DOCUMENT:
<osisText>
	<header>
		<work osisWork="nasb">
			<title>NASB</title>
			<refSystem>Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
		</work>
	</header>
		<reference osisRefs="nasb:Ps.1.2"/>
</osisText>

TARGET DOCUMENT - CURRENT SCHEMA
This is a matching document because the THIS <work> has the only
elements must be declared in order to provide for the multiple reference
systems.

<osisText osisWorkID="nasbFirstCopy">
	<header>
		<work osisWork="nasbFirstCopy">
			<title>NASB</title>
			<creator>some text</creator>
			... more meta data ....
			<refSystem>Bible.NASB</refSystem>
		</work>
		<work osisWork="nasbSecondCopy">
			<title>NASB</title>
			<creator>some text</creator>
			... more meta data ....
			<refSystem>Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
		</work>
	</header>
		<verse osisID="nasbFirstCopy:Ps.1.1
nasbSecondCopy:Ps.1.2
</osisText>

Notice that the THIS <work> element must be stated twice but can only be
indicated once (using osisWorkID in <osisText>).  The valid reference,
stated above, to this document can not be used due to the deficiency of
the schema.  Both supported reference systems must be allowed to be
children of the SINGLE THIS <work> element.

TARGET DOCUMENT - PROPOSED SCHEMA
<osisText osisWorkID="nasb">
	<work>
		<title>NASB</title>
		<creator>some text</creator>
		... more meta data ....
		<refSystem id="nasb>Bible.NASB</refSystem>
		<refSystem id="Hebrew">Bible.Hebrew</refSystem>
	</work>
	<header>
	</header>
		<verse osisID="nasb:Ps.1.1 hebrew:Ps.1.2
</osisText>

In this case the single <work> element that details THIS document has
more than one reference system.  Now when the reference identifies a
matching document based on the match of the needed child elements of
THIS <work>, the appropriate reference system can be selected from the
SINGLE <work> element that represents THIS work.

Does this help clear things up?

Todd