[osis-core] osisRef questions

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:37:36 -0700

Harry,

In the encodings from Crosswire they have used 3John.1.1.  I like this
structure better than the alternative.

I think what you really want is a URN.

There are (at least) three pieces of information that you need to
unambiguously identify the equivalent of an osisRef.
1) The reference system that the reference identifier belongs to
2) The reference identifier itself
3) And optionally, the specific work you want to refer to.

We could define an OSIS URN syntax as follows:
urn:osis:RefSystem:Identifier(SpecificWork)
urn:osis:Bible.KJV:Ps.1.1(Bible.NIV)

OR
urn:osis:Bible/KJV/Ps/1/1(Bible.NIV)

To represent the equivalent of:
<osisText>
	<header>
		<work osisWork="niv">
			<identifier type="OSIS">Bible.NIV</identifier>
			<refSystem>Bible.KJV</refSystem>
		</work>
	</header>
		<reference osisRef="niv:Ps.1.1"/>
</osisText>

Of course the suggested URN syntax relies solely on <identifier
type="OSIS"> to identify the work, but if the URN is in the osis
namespace it would make sense that OSIS define ALL of the values that
make up the identifier.

I suspect you will prefer
urn:osis:SpecificWork(RefSystem:Identifier)
urn:osis:Bible.NIV(Bible.KJV:Ps.1.1)

but I think that it will be more common to use a reference system and
identifier and not specify the work than the other way around given that
this will likely be used predominantly for scripture references and much
less frequently for non scripture references (in my opinion).

With the URN you could create the following URLs:
http://www.ccel.org/scripture?osisURN=urn:osis:Bible.KJV:Ps.1.1(Bible.NI
V)
OR
http://www.ccel.org/scripture?osisURN=Bible.KJV:Ps.1.1(Bible.NIV)

We can also take the other names we have (and will define) and create
things like the following:
urn:osisBibleBookName:Ps
urn:osisWork:Bible.NIV
urn:osisRefSystem:Bible.KJV
OR
urn:osis:BibleBookName/Ps
urn:osis:Work/Bible.NIV
urn:osis:RefSystem/Bible.KJV

Do these ideas make sense and should we adopt them?