[osis-core] osisRef questions

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:56:40 -0500

I am working on a bible/commentary system that allows
one to request bible passages from different versions
or commentary on bible passages, with versification
scheme translation.

I haven't found the kinetic energy to overcome the
huge potential hill of OSIS support vs. the downhill
ThML path, so this is in the context of ThML at the
CCEL, but I'm planning to use osisIDs and osisRefs
overlayed on top.

Question.  Which is the proper osisID for 3 John 15 --
Bible:3John.15 or Bible:3John.1.15?

Comment.  As I recall, we don't have a single string
that means "Give me what corresponds to the NRSV's
3 John 15 in the NIV."  (3 John 15 of the NRSV is the
last half of 3 John 14 in the NIV.)

You have to declare a work header element that specifies
the NIV with the NRSV's osisID system. Maybe give it an
osisID of myNIV. Then you can say myNIV:3John.15

Although I was a part of the process of coming up with
this system, I do have to say that after some time and
thought, I don't think it's very clear conceptually. It
conflates a book and a reference system in one identifier.
As evidence that it is a hard system to understand, I
point out that we, the designers of the system, have
been having trouble keeping it clear in mind. Todd has
a point.

Anyway, what I want to do is use a URI like this:

 /ccel/bible/NIV.html?osisRef=Bible.NIV(Bible:3John.15)

I'm assuming there's no approved osisRef that can do that
in a single string (without reference to a <work> element
in the header) and I should forge ahead making up my
own syntax as shown. Yes? No? Comments or suggestions?

Or would this really muddy the waters by using the
Bible: prefix as a reference system name rather
than a workID?

-Harry Plantinga