[osis-core] parallel passage and stanza?

Tue, 11 Feb 2003 09:35:25 -0700

All,

I met with Phil Murdy from the IBS yesterday.  When I asked him how we
could best help him, I got an interesting response.  He said the most
helpful thing would be if we were to unambiguously state how to use the
standard and what each element should be used.

Also as I was looking through some of his work, I saw two things he was
doing with XSEM that I was unclear how to do with OSIS.

1) In XSEM there is a <parallelPassage> element with a "source"
reference and a "target" reference as child elements.  I know we can
create two <reference> elements and put type="source" and type="target"
in them, but I am not sure of the best way to tie them together.  I had
thought of <div type="x-parallelPassage">, but this is not really a div.
Any suggestions?

2) Again in XSEM there is a mechanism to have <lineGroup> contain other
<lineGroup>s for four "poetry" structures.  (I still like NOT having
<lineGroup> contain other <lineGroups>.  The issues is that there is a
structure called "stanza" (encoded as <lineGroup type="stanza">) that is
made up of <lineGroup> child nodes.  Would the best way to encode this
be to use <div type="stanza"> with children <lineGroup> elements.

Todd