[osis-core] Bible.Vul

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 09:18:55 -0500

As you probably know, the biblical books 1Sam, 2Sam, 1Kgs, and 2Kgs
have names that are translated into English in various ways, often something
like 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 3 Kings, and 4 Kings.

Should we use Bible.Vul:1Kgs, 2Kgs, 3Kgs, and 4Kgs, or 1Sam, 2Sam,
1Kgs, 2Kgs?

Both approaches will lead to much confusion for those who are only
marginally
up on the issue. However, it seems to me that using the latter plan
(1-2Sam, 1-2Kgs) will cause confusion for people trying to mark up the
Vulgate
or texts referring to it, while the former plan (1-4Kgs) will confuse system
implementors.

It's probably better to confuse system implementors.

The end result, of course, is that "Bible:1Kgs" and "Bible.Vul:1Kgs" refer
to different books, so you can't think of IDs like 1Kgs as refering to a
unique book.

-Harry