[osis-core] styles

Harry Plantinga osis-core@bibletechnologieswg.org
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 17:26:48 -0500

Todd Tillinghast wrote:

>Harry,
>
>QUESTIONS:
>1) Is the reason to embed the CSS in the OSIS document so that it
>displays nicely when working in Word?

The reason for having a stylesheet is so that you can customize the
'look' of your document in any particular rendering environment.
Presumably whatever uses people have for OSIS documents -- web, print,
whatever -- we will want to have the ability to associate a stylesheet
with some documents. The reason for embedding the stylesheet in the OSIS
document is that we haven't figured out how to read in a stylesheet as a
separate file, but we want to have the stylesheet available in Word so
we can render using the stylesheet and also edit the stylesheet in Word.

>2) Is there a reason why two or three "standard" CSS "files" wouldn't
>work for most every OSIS document?  (This seems better than a different
>CSS for each OSIS document or did I miss something?)

Yes, one can have a default stylesheet, but in my experience two or
three standard stylesheets would not satisfy everyone for every use.
You'd be restricting every book, every sermon, every daily devotional to
the same typefaces, styles, sizes, etc. What if you want to print a
large-type version of a document for the vision-impaired, for example?

>3) Does Word automatically create the CSS or is it something that the
>user has to put work into?

The Word stylesheet would be converted to and from CSS when word
documents are saved and loaded from OSIS format.

>4) Is there a way to have "standard" CSS applied to OSIS documents as
>they are being created/edited?

Yes, a standard, default stylesheet would control this. We could use a
default stylesheet in the document templates and allow that to be
edited, or use a separate default stylesheet and document-specific
stylesheet.

>5) I appreciate the corner you are in with Word and CSS, to me it makes
>sense to embed the CSS in the OSIS document when working in Word
>(assuming you need the CSS for the OSIS document to display properly in
>Word) and then remove it when saving it or distributing the document
>outside of the Word editing process.

That can certainly be done.

>6) Can you edit an OSIS document with your proposed embedded CSS in Word
>with the OSIS schema as it is currently published?  (Are you requesting
>a change to the schema?)

It would not be necessary to change to the schema -- Word can perform an
XSLT transformation to read in or save an OSIS document without
validating against the schema. However, I don't know enough about
namespaces to know whether an OSIS document with a <myNameSpace:style>
element would be OSIS-valid. I guess it would if we define the namespace
in the <osis> element. Is that correct?

One more issue is that we haven't come across a pre-existing XML
stylesheet language that is suitable. CSS is not XML, and it is too hard
to parse in XSLT.

Our current plan is to store the CSS stylesheet using a custom XML
syntax. The program that splits out or adds in the stylesheet to the
OSIS document would have to convert between standard CSS syntax and our
XML syntax.

-Harry