[osis-core] <hi> types

Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:56:27 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003, Patrick Durusau wrote:

> The problem arises when you have foreign words in an English text, which
> are generally written using italic. Do we allow people to take the easy
> way out and simply say <hi type="italic"> so they get the same
> presentation or make a judgment about what is meant by the presentation?
>
> I favor the latter but it is always a judgment call of the encoder and
> the purpose of the project.

I think this raises a good best practice issue that should be noted.  <hi>
has very limited intended usage.  It was indended for generic emphasis and
for identifying stuff with indeterminate semantics but distinct
presentation.

What you desribe is what we have the <foreign> element for, so if a person
recognizes that this is why a string of text is italicized, they should
use <foreign> and set their stylesheet to render <foreign> as italiics.

They might still have to use their judgement, but we can't help them on
that.

--Chris